USA O2 VISA
The o2 visa is part of the larger group of o visas designed to allow people to enter the United States who demonstrate extraordinary abilities and high educational qualifications. These sets of US non-immigrant visas target exceptionally talented individuals in the field of entertainment, film, motion pictures, and athletics and their assistants and families. The o2 visa is specifically designed for the assisting personnel of those individuals who are extraordinary individuals or stated simply as the o1 visa holders entering the United States. Therefore, the o2 visa holders are directly related to the o1 visa holders.
WHAT IS AN O2 VISA?
The o2 visa can be defined as a US non-immigrant visa specifically designed for the assisting personnel of o1 visa holders. The o1 visa holders are individuals who demonstrate extraordinary talent and high educational qualifications in the fields of television, motion pictures, athletics, entertainment, etc., who enter the United States to engage in official activities. The United States recognises the fact that such incredibly talented individuals need to hire additional people who are critical to their success. Therefore, the country approves of o2 visas to allow their assisting personnel to accompany them. Therefore, it would not be wrong to suggest that the o2 visa holders are directly related to their o1 visa holders.
As an O2 work visa holder, you have the freedom to change your employers. However, in this case, the new employer must submit a fresh petition. One must simultaneously submit an O2 extension of stay application to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY FOR AN O2 VISA?
O-2 visa holders are required to support the primary O-1 visa holder during their stay in the United States. Therefore, an O-2 visa holder’s ability to travel is closely related to that of the O-1 visa holder.
There are several reasons why an o2 visa is highly advantageous for the beneficiary, as mentioned below:
- O2 visa holders can receive their visa within a short period of time.
- O2 visa holders can travel freely in and out of the United States for as long as their visa retains its validity.
- O2 visa holders could apply for o3 visas for their accompanying relatives.
- O2 visa holders are free to change their employers.
HOW DO I BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR AN O2 VISA?
In order to qualify as an o2 visa holder, you are required to fulfill certain eligibility conditions in addition to being the key personnel of an o1 visa holder in athletics, television, film, or the like.
These preconditions are listed below:
- You are required to be a critical member of the o1 visa holder.
- You are required to possess the necessary skills and experience which satisfy the needs of the work of the o1 visa holder.
- You need to only work for the o1 visa holders and nobody else, even if they are related to your experience or skill set.
- You must provide evidence that you intend to work solely in the United States, although your country of origin is somewhere else.
- You must provide evidence stating your clear intention of leaving the country once the validity of your visa comes to an end.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR AN O2 VISA?
If you wish to apply for an o2 visa, there are several steps that you need to keep in mind while filling out the application. While the initial application process is required to be carried out by the US employer, the applicant needs to file their application at a US Embassy in their country of origin.
Given below are the list of instructions that you need to go through:
Employment petition must be filed by the US Employer:
The first half of the application process needs to be carried out by the US employer employing both the o1 and o2 visa holders. With respect to the o2 visa holder, the employer is required to send a completed Form 1-129 to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The responsibility of paying the fee required for filing the petition solely rests with the US employer.
Review period after the submission of the petition and supporting documents:
After the employer has completed filing the petition and sent it to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) along with supporting documents, the applicant is subjected to a review period. It is after the review period that the USCIS issues a decision of approval or rejection of the petition. In case of approval, both the employer and the employee will receive Form 1-797, Notice of Action, following which the applicant needs to begin the procedure at a US Embassy in their country of origin.
Complete Form DS-160:
The applicant is required to complete Form DS-160, after which they will receive a confirmation page and code, which need to be attached to the supporting documents before sending it to the Embassy.
Payment of Visa fees(cost of o2 Visa):
After completing all the procedures mentioned above, the applicants are required to make the payment of the application fees of $190. However, it must also be noted that there might be additional fees required, depending on the country of origin.
Fix your interview with the Embassy:
It is advisable to schedule the interview ahead of time to avoid potential delays due to the high number of applications received by the Embassies every year. Upon scheduling your interview, you will receive an interview confirmation letter, which needs to be presented on the day of the interview.
DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST FOR AN O2 VISA:
Applicants must gather all the supporting documents required when applying for an o2 visa:
- Valid passport.
- Interview confirmation letter.
- Payment receipts proving successful completion of all payments.
- Form 1-797.
- Photographs meeting all digital requirements.
- Proof of contract with the o1 visa holder.
- Proof of skills and experience in relation to the work of an o1 visa holder.
- Proof of having strong ties with the country of origin so as to confirm your return after the validity of your visa expires.
- DS-160 confirmation code.
CAN I BRING DEPENDENTS IF I AM AN O2 VISA HOLDER?
O2 visa holders are entitled to bring dependents with them by applying for the o3 visa. This visa also grants eligibility to dependent children under 21 years of age to enter the United States as accompanying folk of the O2 visa holders. However, as per law, o3 visa holders are not entitled to work in the United States.
WHY ALWAYS CONSIDER BASICS OF IMMIGRATION?
- Expert Visa counselors provide Step-by-step guidance through a secure, online process.
- Apt evaluation of credentials and faster visa processing.
- Identifying all potential hazards and roadblocks in securing a visa.
- Assistance with documentation, immigration rules, citizenship, and border control procedures.
- Multiple case assessment for better conflict resolution.
- Designated process managers to provide personalized guidance.
Just like the basics of anything act as “building blocks” forming a strong foundation for constructing complex structures. The Basics of Immigration serve as the foundational elements of moving abroad, for any aspiring immigrant.