What is TEF Points Calculator?
TEF evaluates the French language skills of candidates on a scale of 7 levels, ranging from 0+ (basic skills/abilities) to 6 (complete control). You can check your TEF score from the below points calculator, it will be beneficial if you know your TEF and CLB score before you start your visa process.
What is the TEF Canada test?
TEF (Test d’Evaluation de Français) is an international specification test that evaluates the candidate’s proficiency in the French language. The TEF test is regulated by Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie de Paris (CCIP) and is accepted as proof of French language proficiency in Canada, Quebec, France, and Switzerland.
The TEF Canada test is a requisite proof of proficiency in the French language if you wish to apply for Canadian permanent residency or immigrate to Canada for educational purposes or to work.
What is the difference between TEF Canada and TCF Canada exams?
Like TEF Canada, TCF Canada ( Test de Connaissance du français pour le Canada ) is also a French test for Canadian immigration and both of them are accepted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the IRCC. Although to obtain Canadian permanent residency, you should take the TEF Canada test, and if you are planning to apply for Canada immigration and go to Canada to pursue studies or for work, you should give the TCF Canada test. The test format and duration of TEF Canada and TCF Canada are almost similar and the results of both tests are valid for two years.
TEF Canada Test Format
The TEF Canada test comprises four segments:
- Oral Comprehension – It is a listening test in which you are evaluated based on how well you understand the spoken French language.
- Written Comprehension – It is a reading test in which you are evaluated based on how well can you read content written in French.
- Oral Expression – It is a speaking test where you are assessed on how well you communicate orally in French.
- Written Expression – It is a writing test where assessment is done based on your ability to communicate in French in a written manner.
TEF Canada Score and Test Format
If you are applying for a Canadian Immigration application, then you should take all four segments of the TEF Canada test, and if you are applying for a Canada Permanent Residence visa application, you must take:
- Oral Comprehension segment
- Oral Expression segment
Scoring Format of TEF Canada test if applying for
- Canadian Immigration application
- Written Comprehension – This segment contains 50 MCQs and the maximum points you can score is 300. This segment lasts for 60 minutes.
- Oral Comprehension – This segment contains 60 MCQs and the maximum points you can score is 360. This segment lasts for 40 minutes.
- Written Expression – In this segment you are tasked to write on two topics and the maximum score you can achieve is 450 points. This segment lasts for 60 minutes.
- Oral Expression – In this segment, you are supposed to speak on 2 topics in under 15 minutes and the maximum score you can achieve is 450 points.
- Canadian Citizenship and Permanent Residence Visa
- Oral Comprehension – It contains 60 questions that you have to answer in 40 minutes and the maximum points you can score in this segment is 360.
- Oral Expression – In this segment, you have to speak about two topics in under 15 minutes and the maximum score you can achieve is 450 points.
How is the TEF score calculated?
Your TEF score is evaluated on a 7-level scale, where 0 is the lowest and 6 is the highest. You are allocated a proficiency level on the basis of your TEF exam result. Following are the levels that you can be placed on:
- Level A1 – Lower Beginner
- Level A2 – Upper Beginner
- Level B1 – Lower Intermediate
- Level B2 – Upper Intermediate
- Level C1 – Lower Advanced
- Level C2 – Upper Advanced
The table below represents how the 6 skill levels of the TEF exam correlate to the A1 to C2 grades of the Common European Framework for Languages of the Council of Europe (CECR) and also to 12 point benchmarks of the Canadian Language Benchmarks (NCLC – Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens).
|0 1||A1||0 1|
|5||C1||8 9 10|
What is the minimum score required to pass the TEF Canada exam?
The minimum score you need to attain in your TEF Canada exam depends upon the requirement stated by the company or institution and if you are applying for one of the following programs, the requirements are stated below:
- Federal Skilled Trades Programme: The minimum level required in your TEF for Canada exam to enter this program is NCLC level 4 in reading and writing segments and NCLC level 5 in speaking and listening segments.
- Federal Skilled Worker Programme: The minimum level required to enter this program is NCLC level 7 in all four segments.
- Canadian Experience Class Programme: Depending upon the classification of your occupation under the NOC of Canada, the minimum level required is NCLC level 7.
TEF exam fee
The TEF exam fee is approximately $440.
What happens on the day of the TEF Canada exam?
- On the date of your TEF Canada exam, you must reach on time at the allotted center along with your passport and invitation.
- Your documents will be verified by the TEF center invigilator and you will be shown your seat.
- During the exam, you will not be allowed to leave the examination hall due to any reason.
- Any misconduct such as cheating or talking with other candidates during the TEF exam will not be excused and if you are found doing any such thing, you will not be allowed to complete your exam and also you won’t be able to retake the exam for a specific time.
What happens after the exam?
The results of the TEF Canada exam, arrive in the form of certificates within 4-6 weeks, either by mail or by postal delivery. Each certificate will contain the following details:
- Points scored in each segment
- Level of French awarded to the candidate
- Personal comment on your knowledge of the French language.
If you wish to retake the TEF Canada exam, then you will have to wait for 60 days before applying again.
How can BOI Services help
- Authorized and licensed Immigration Consultancy.
- Check eligibility based on the latest immigration rules & regulations
- Ensure a safe and transparent online process.
- Complaint resolution system to provide excellent customer support
- Profiles are evaluated with specially designed services
- Cases are assessed & rectified multiple times before submission
BOI Services is one of the best Immigration Consultancy in New Delhi, widely regarded as one of the most reputed and trusted Immigration Consultancy in India by its customers. We have assisted hundreds of aspiring candidates in their preparation for the TEF exam and helped them achieve better results. Our trained, well-versed, and experienced Immigration Experts are dedicated to support you with your immigration process.